Thirty-five years ago, our summer staff was recruited from various parts of the world, including England, Scotland, Ireland, Canada, and across the United States.
These young missionaries dedicated two months of their lives to voluntarily run summer camps and then returned to their homes. This model helped UrbanPromise get its start and build our foundation, but it had significant limitations.
Our overarching vision has always been to cultivate local leadership—leaders who understand their community, live in the neighborhoods, and commit to the long and challenging work of transforming their city.
This summer, our vision has intersected with reality in a beautiful way. I am thrilled to announce that ALL our summer leadership positions are now held by alumni of our summer programs, individuals deeply rooted in the Camden community.
Allow me to introduce them:
- Siomara, our VP of Programs, started at the age of 14.
- Tony, our StreetLeader Director, started at the age of 5.
- Albert, our Children and Youth Director, also started at the age of 5.
- Faith, our Camp Faith Director, began at the age of 6.
- Brandon, our Camp Spirit Director, joined us at the age of 14.
- Derrick, our Camp Peace Director, became involved at the age of 10.
Together, this team of local leaders is making a significant impact on the lives of hundreds of youth across the city, right at this moment! They are leading teams of volunteers who serve as role models for God’s love and grace, engaging in activities such as playing games, tutoring, mentoring, playing sports, fostering creativity, and guiding our young ones in exploring the Christian faith.
This is truly good news.
Founder and President